Prof. Dr. Osman Sabuncuoglu has acquired his basic medical proficiency from the Medical School of Ankara University in 1992. He then completed his specialization in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry at the Medical School of Marmara University.
Promoted as an associate professor in child psychiatry in 2008, and later on as full professor in 2016, Osman Sabuncuoglu carries on his studies at the Medical School of Marmara University.
In 2009, The PMETB (The Postgraduate Medical Education and Training Board) approved that his training and qualifications met the requirements of United Kingdom (UK); and he was accepted to General Medical Council (GMC), the regulatory body for doctors in Great Britain and Northern Ireland, to perform his profession with full privileges (GMC Ref No: 7048288). He is the first consultant in his field from Turkey who has gained registration in UK via the application of Article 14, Medical Act.
Prof. Dr. Osman Sabuncuoglu has paved the way for critical scientific advancements through his international publications. To summarize;
- He has identified the relationship between Traumatic Dental Injuries, one of the major problematic issues of Child Dentistry, with Attention-Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, one of the key issues of Child Psychiatry, and suggested a descriptive model.
- He has identified a switch phenomena appearing as a result of the consecutive administration of Risperidone and Methylphenidate that are ranked among most common drugs prescribed in Child Psychiatry.
- He has made pioneering studies on mother-infant psychiatry in our country. He has discovered that secure attachment style addressed in mother’s own babyhood eases her pregnancy period.
- He has proven that the symptom profile of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder in Children significantly differentiates in school and home settings.
- His scientific article where he summarized the contributions of Serefeddin Sabuncuoglu, the reputable physician of the Fatih period particularly renowned as a surgeon, to Psychiatry was headlined on the cover of American Journal of Psychiatry, the most read and referenced psychiatric journal of the world.
-He has established a theory that homosexual orientation in the offspring is caused by maternal thyroid dysfunction during pregnancy.
- Osman Sabuncuoglu’s studies were backed by international “Donald Cohen Fellowship” for two times.
- Since psychiatric disorders in childhood are heavily interrelated, Dr. Sabuncuoglu carries out his scientific studies in all fields that may be relevant.
- Osman Sabuncuoglu is married and the father of Doga Sabuncuoglu.
- School of Medicine
- Internal Medical Sciences
- Department of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry