Professor Nesrin Kartal Ozer
Department of Biochemistry, Faculty of Medicine,
34854, Maltepe, Istanbul, TURKEY
Nesrin Kartal Ozer, is Professor at Marmara University, Faculty of Medicine, Department of Biochemistry, Istanbul,Turkey. She graduated with a BSc in Pharmacy from Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey and she has received her PhD in Biochemistry in Hacettepe University, Faculty of Medicine. She moved then to Marmara University, Istanbul. She was a Visiting Scientist at St.George’s Hospital, Medical School, Department of Biochemistry, London, UK (1985-1986); Institute of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Bern, Switzerland (1993-2004) and University of Hohenheim, Stuttgart, Germany (2008). In her research she published ~ 100 articles and she was invited speaker at ~80 international meetings. She was the organizer ~10 scientific meetings and conferences. As member of International Organizations it is worth mentioning her membership in the International Advisory Committee, Oxygen Club of California (1999- today); FEBS Advanced Course Committee Member (2003-2006); Secretary General Society for Free Radical Research-Europe (SFRR-E) and Member of the Council (2003-2009) and President of SFRR-E (2013-2014). She was awarded The Oxygen Club of California Award and “Life Time Honorary Member” in 2006 “In recognition of outstanding research contributions on the role of vitamin E in atherosclerosis and to fostering the field of free radical biology” and The Society for Free Radical Research-Europe Lifetime Achievement Award in 2019 “In recognition of Lifetime Extraordinary Scientific Achievements in the Field of Free Radical Research”. Her research focus on endoplasmic reticulum stress, redox signaling and cell death in metabolism related diseases such as cardiovascular diseases and non alcoholic fatty liver disease. In parallel she has carried out research on the molecular function of tocopherols in these diseases.
- Sozen E, Demirel T, Ozer NK. Vitamin E: Regulatory Role in the Cardiovascular System. IUBMB Life, 2019 doi:10.1002/iub.2020.
- Yazgan B, Sozen E, Karademir B, Ustunsoy S, Ince U, Zarkovic N, Ozer NK. CD36 expression in peripheral blood mononuclear cells reflects the onset of atherosclerosis.Biofactors. 2018 Nov;44(6):588-596. doi: 10.1002/biof.1372. Epub 2017 Jul 5.
- Sozen E, Yazgan B, Sahin A, Ince U, Ozer NK. High cholesterol diet induced changes in oxysterol and scavenger receptor levels in heart tissue. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. Volume 2018, Article ID 8520746, https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/8520746
- Sozen E, Ozer NK. Impact of high cholesterol and endoplasmic reticulum stress on metabolic diseases: An updated mini-review Redox Biology, 12:456-461, 2017.
- Azzi A, Birringer M, Cook-Mills JM, Galli F, Eggersdorfer M, Frank J, Lorkowski S, Ozer NK. Vitamin E: emerging aspects and new directions. Free Radical Biology & Medicine, 102:16-36, 2017.
- School of Medicine
- Basic Medical Sciences
- Department of Medical Biochemistry